WOODBURY — A fast-moving fire just before midnight on Tuesday, December 29, destroyed a 1790 home at 148 Sycamore Ave., Route 317, despite the best efforts of a dozen members of the Woodbury Volunteer Fire Department and firefighters from neighboring communities. Woodbury Fire Chief Janet B. Morgan said the fire appeared to have been accidentally caused by a wood-burning stove in the basement.

Homeowner William Taff and a cat escaped unharmed. A fireman slipped on ice that froze from firehose water and suffered an elbow injury.

Smoke already was coming from the attic and flames were roaring across ceilings when firefighters arrived, Chief Morgan said. Putting it out required huge amounts of water that came from a nearby hydrant and another on Transylvania Road, according to the chief.

The 2,500-square-foot house was damaged beyond repair.

Mutual aid companies from Roxbury, Southbury and Watertown assisted the WVFD.

Chief Morgan noted that the year 2020 began with a house fire on Route 47 and ended with this one.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.