SOUTHBURY — The Old Town Hall Museum, 624 South Britain Rd., will join in the statewide celebration of Connecticut Open House Day on Saturday, June 8, when two significant events are planned in South Britain village on Route 172.
Sponsored by the Connecticut Office of Tourism, this statewide event is designed to increase awareness of Connecticut’s cultural and tourism assets and for town residents to share them with visiting families and friends.
An open house at the Old Town Museum will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Included in the collection of historically significant materials are objects and artifacts ranging from locally found arrowheads dating back to the American Indians who once lived there, to a 400-pound piece of petrified wood.
A walking tour of South Britain, the village surrounding the Old Town Hall Museum, open to 25 walkers only, is planned for 10 a.m. to noon, “Economic Innovation Before Electricity,” led by Town Historian John Dwyer and architect Hugh J. Sullivan, Bennett Sullivan Associates Architects & Planners.
Settled early in the 18th century as a part of Southbury, South Britain was recognized as a separate parish in 1766.
The settlement soon became a center for water-powered industries made possible by the damming of the Pomperaug River.
No registration is necessary for the open house.
Registration is required for the walking tour. Registration may be had by calling 203-405-3124 and leaving a message or email to email@example.com.
Parking will be available in the South Britain Congregational Church parking lot, 693 South Britain Rd.