LITCHFIELD — The Daughters of Wisdom and Wisdom House, in partnership with the Litchfield Land Trust, signed a land conservation easement agreement recently at Wisdom House Retreat and Conference Center.
This agreement assures the protection of 54.4 acres of the total 74.427 acres of Wisdom House.
It assures that the protected land will be retained forever in its natural, scenic and open space condition, protecting rare plants, water and animals in the protected land.
This signing extends the environmental commitment of the Daughters of Wisdom and Wisdom House beyond its present sustainability efforts, which include 80 solar panels on the barn, artesian water wells, energy-efficient lighting and more.
The conservation easement was signed by sisters of the Leadership Team, Province Leader Catherine Sheehan and Treasurer Evelyn Eckhardt and by the president of the Litchfield Land Trust, David Geiger.
Members of the Land Trust and Deborah Kelly, executive director of Wisdom House, were present.
The land conservation easement marks the beginning of the seventh decade of the Daughters of Wisdom presence and ministry at Wisdom House.
In 1949, the land was purchased from Margaret and Frederick Busk to open a novitiate for training new members in the religious order of sisters.
The possibility of a conservation easement agreement at Wisdom House has been eight years in study and planning spearheaded by Sister Rosemarie Greco, D.W., former executive director of Wisdom House, and Dr. John Fulkerson, Litchfield Land Trust board member.
Wisdom House, an interfaith retreat and conference center, offers hospitality and presents programs in spirituality, education, the arts, ecology and contemporary issues.
The Litchfield Land Trust is dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, conservation and stewardship of land for the benefit of current and future generations.